Sunday, August 19, 2012

Five fashion trends I'm not sure whether to love or hate

I love clothes, but I'm kind of bad at fashion. I basically wear dresses with funny patterns, black cardigans, sandals when it's warm, and winter boots when it's cold. If I'm feeling lazy - jeans and men's v-necks.

But even if I'll never wear 99% of the things I'm looking at, I read about twenty-five fashion blogs and websites and think about buying all of the stuff I see. I then realize I'll never actually wear any of it and put away my credit card (usually). These are a few of those things that I'm trying to decide my feelings on...

1. Tribal print




According to the Internet, tribal print is a trend that's been around for a while...but I feel like it's just started to really exist pretty recently? Every time a tribal print dress pops ups on Modcloth, I get about thiiis close to buying one just to see if it's actually cute at all on a real person. I still haven't decided. Thoughts, anyone? 

2. Big giant floppy hats


So, these things are cute, but every time I put one on my head I think I kind of look like a spaceship. If Jennifer Lopez can look this good in it, why can't I?? My theories are currently that either my head is too big for them, or I'm just way too attached to my hair to hide it under a hat. (What's the point in shaving your head if you aren't showing it off?) 

3. Neon



I'm way into color, and I'm definitely pro-neon accessories and accent pieces. But there's something about neon clothes that makes me wonder why people are so into looking like traffic cones or 80s throwbacks this season. 

4. Patterned wedges

Some of these are actually really cute. I saw a pair once that had kitten faces all over them...I'd totally wear those, if I could pull them off. The odds of me tripping and breaking my ankle are incredibly high.  Oh well.

5. Jumpsuits



I honestly thought these went out of style already, but since I've been home this summer, women all over Los Angeles have been wearing them. (More often than not with the big floppy hats mentioned above.) Sometimes they look great, and sometimes they look like they're headed to do janitorial work...which I don't think is quite what they're going for.


I wonder if this post is less legitimate because it's 5pm and I'm lying on my couch wearing my cookie monster PJ pants? 


NOTE: As of August 22nd, Adventures in Adultolescence has a new home!

Follow me over here instead!





3 comments:

  1. Jumpsuits and floppy hats come and go every few years, whenever fashion craves the look of 1977. Ditto tribal prints (and the tiresome animal prints ) and the year 1986. Barf. As for neon, it is not good unless, as you say, one is going to play in traffic. Otherwise it just hurts people's eyes and becomes very tiresome very quickly. ALL wedges--not just printed ones--and the latest craze of thick-soled stilettos are reincarnations of the Frankenstein "Spice Girls" shoes/boots of 1997...and people say Crocs are fugly?!? From a distance it looks like you forgot to remove your shoes from the shoeboxes! (At least Crocs are comfy.) Bottom line: if you feel you must jump on the trend wagon, a cheap item or two won't hurt, but generally stick with classic stylings that never go out of style. (Think about what guides your purchases at thrift shops--they're either classic pieces or super-fun obnoxious pieces that you only wear on rare occasions.) THAT'S my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tribal print! I have some pants just like that to show you!! Also, jumpsuits freak me out....

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know what would be an awesome outfit? A neon tribal print jump suit, with a big floppy hat, and crazy patterned wedges. That would be awesome. (in a hideous i wanna make fun of them sorta way)

    ReplyDelete

 

Adventures in Adultolescence Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos