Wednesday, August 15, 2012

On plus-sized fashion

I am not a skinny lady. After ten years of fibromyalgia living, most of which has involved jumping from one medication with "weight gain" listed as a side effect to another, skinny isn't really something that my body has the energy to do. I really struggled with body image issues during my high school years, but I've thankfully adjusted over time and, while I'm still working on shedding some pounds to help my health, I am really okay with my plus-size ass.

Great, right? Well, yeah. Here's the thing, though: I love clothes. So so so much. And while there are plenty of cute plus-size lines out there, a large majority of them kind of...suck. Or they just aren't meant for twenty-one year old college students, they're meant for middle aged professionals. On top of that, I also love inexpensive clothes (because then I can buy a lot of pretty things instead of just a couple pretty things). After a couple years of an extended sweatpants phase, I finally managed to figure out where I want to shop.

1. Target Plus



This one's a new love on my list. I've always been a little wary of Target's plus size clothes. The sizing's always seemed a little off (I'm a size sixteen, and can't even begin to get their size seventeen jeans on), and then most of the larger sizes seemed a little unflattering and dowdy. But there are some cute dresses in the plus-size line Ive been seeing around for a while (like the one above), and I feel like they've been expanding recently.

I was walking around Target yesterday and had a "how have I missed this?!" moment. Pure Energy for Target is a juniors' plus-size line that I apparently have totally turned a blind eye to in the past. Their clothes are super cute and actually kind of match recent trends (unlike a lot of plus-size lines, which seem to be a year or two behind the times...). I was particularly obsessed with the dresses I walked by on the rack, although I didn't try any of them on because I was being good and restraining myself from spending too much money. Highly recommended nonetheless.

2. Forever 21+


In case you're not familiar with Forever 21, here's a fact about them: they sell inexpensive, teeny tiny clothes. BUT, they started a marvelous plus size line a few years back, and I've been a devotee ever since. The clothes are cute, and on top of that, aren't just bigger versions of the main Forever 21 line - they're clothes that might actually be flattering on a plus-sized body. Also, they're way inexpensive, which makes them even more appealing. 



I love love love Modcloth. They constantly have new clothes, make adorable lookbooks (like I posted yesterday!), and WOW they have super cute things. 

Here's the thing, though: you've gotta be careful when you're plus-sized and getting clothes from them. There are a ton of styles that come in a variety of sizes, but because Modcloth sells a huuuuge number of different brands and designers, the sizing isn't regulated. Luckily, their return policy is great, so if you get something that just doesn't look good or fit right, you can return it without any drama. 

4. Thrifting

Alright, this one isn't a specific place, but it's worth putting on the list nonetheless. I've had a ton of luck thrift shopping lately. You have to dig through a lot of crap, but that's true of any thrift shopping experience, plus sized or not. But this summer I've secured like five incredibly cute dresses, all for less than ten dollars, from a few different places around Los Angeles. Patience is a virtue. 


NOTE: As of August 22nd, Adventures in Adultolescence has a new home!

Follow me over here instead!





No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Adventures in Adultolescence Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos